Know our story
The Moneague College is centrally located in a small rural village in St. Ann, a parish famous for its salubrious climate and its sub-terranean lake, which rises periodically. The property on which the college is located was first known as Rose Hall when purchased by its original owner, Englishman, John Hutchinson. John Hutchinson left Rose Hall to his two daughters and stipulated that it would be the legacy of his grand children. In the late 1800s, the sisters failed to pay taxes on the property.
The ensuing years saw the property taking on many functions namely, as a hotel to house visitors to an Agricultural exhibition in the early 1890s; later as a juvenile camp for wayward girls and during World War II, as a Solider Camp. It was in response to the growing need for education and training of primary school teachers that Moneague opened its door as a training institution in 1956. Dr. Aubrey Phillips was the first principal of the institution. Opened with 104 students, demand enrollment to 626 by 1978. Initially, the college concentrated on teacher training in Primary and Early Childhood Education, but as demand increased, training for secondary school teachers was added. In 1981, a three year intra-mural training course was added to the curriculum.The college was closed in 1985 but reopened in 1987, with a new focus: the training of a group of teachers who held trained teachers’ certificates. The college effectiveness as a teacher training institution was reflected in it gaining the esteemed D.R.B Grant Award for the highest achiever in Early Childhood and Primary Post Certificate Training for four consecutive years. The college earned the award six times in the ten yea run of the programme.
In 1993, the college evolved into a Multidisciplinary institution, this time, a Community College was added. An evening institute was also established in the same year. This saw the college offering such courses as Business Studies, Office Administration, Computer Studies, A.A.T., Tourism and Hospitality, A’ Levels, CXC, GCE, Management Information System and Office Technology. Through the evening programme various professional and short courses are also offered, these include Cake Baking and Decorating, Interior Design, Floral Arrangement and certificate in computing. The college in association with the University of the West Indies offer certificates in Management Studies, Social Works and Public Administration.
As the Evolution of The Moneague College continued, 1997 saw the re-introduction of the three year intra-mural teacher-training programme in Primary Education and Secondary Education in Business Studies. The Teacher Education Department was further diversified in the year 2000 with the introduction of a three-year diploma course in Literacy Studies. Presently, the college operates three campuses- Main campus, Port Maria campus and Linstead campus.
To attract clients from diverse backgrounds and providing them with quality education and training which are aligned to international standards and best practices.
Moneague is committed to delivering excellent teaching-learning experiences through passionate, qualified aand experienced lecturers and diverse modailities, using world-class technologies in a supportive and student-friendly environment, thereby producing global citizens equipped with skills and competencies for lifelong learning.
The Moneague College is the premier multidisciplinary institution in the Caribbean offering quality programmes, providing sound leadership, and producing global citizens who are responsive to society’s needs and possess relevant skills in a dynamic, social, intellectual, and political landscape.
The Moneague College Facts/Accomplishments
The Moneague College is registered with the University Council of Jamaica as a tertiary institution offering programmes in Teacher Education and varying Community College programmes including Hospitality & Tourism Management, Business Studies, Management Information System, and Environmental Studies. Other milestones include:
- Our institution has produced the highest performing Undergraduate in the Bachelor of Education Programme in 2014.
- We won the DRB Grant Award (8 of the 10 year run of the programme) for highest achiever in Early Childhood and Primary Post Certificate Training.
- Moneague College was the first place winner in the JPSCO Science and Technology Exposition for the years 2009-2011
- The college has graduated many distinguished citizens, most noteworthyare the current Governor General Sir Patrick Allen and Lady Allen.
- Moneague College is the Winner of the Community Colleges of Jamaica Software Development Competition -2014.
- We won the Epicurean Escape Culinary Competition 2014
- 2014-15 Division 2 Intercollegiate Basketball Champion.
- 2014-15 Division 2 Intercollegiate 2nd place winner in Football.
- In 2003 Moneague College produced the student who achieved the highest world rank order in the GCE A level General Paper Examinations- Dion Brown
- The Caribbean Junior Chef of the Year 2014- Sanju Smith, is a Graduate of the School of Hospitality, Moneague College
- Quisque cursus et, porttitor risus.
- Nulla ipsum dolor lacus, suscipit adipiscing.